Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Diabetes Awards Part 1: Comedy



Ladies and gentlemen...welcome to the first ever Diabetes Awards! Without wasting any time, here is a quick explanation...

If you know me, you know I am fat...just a little...or a lot...it's all relative...I'm somewhere between Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken...Ok who am I kidding? I am a lot closer to Ruben Studdard than I am to Clay Aiken. Anyways, if you know me, you also know that I love watching TV shows...mostly on my laptop. And if you know anything about the psychology behind bad eating habits, you know that you shouldn't eat while watching TV because you associate the pleasure from TV, with the food. As a result, every time you watch something, it makes you want to have food even when you are not hungry, and when you do eat, you eat more, even when you are full. That is my problem. I might start watching a TV show like Game of Thrones on my laptop at like 10PM after dinner and because of my bad habits, I end up going downstairs and grabbing some grub because my fatass can't just enjoy the show on its own. So I would say about 75% of the blame behind my weight problem can be attributed to this psychological behavior...and therefore, eventually...when I get older...TV shows will be the single biggest reason why I will have developed diabetes and heart disease in my 30's. Hence, we have the Diabetes Awards! In part 1, we will look at the Comedy Category.

Award for the Funniest Moment of All-Time on Television

This is a very special award. There are two scenes that I immediately thought about when I considered this award. And I couldn't decide! So it's a tie!

Winner 1: Dr. Spaceman Treats Diabetes on 30 Rock - I couldn't find a clip of this on Youtube so I downloaded the episode, cut it, and tried posting it. But some bullshit about licensing and copyrights didn't let me. So I had to put the file on my public Dropbox. Download it and watch it! The Doctor's stupidity is fucking hilarious!

Winner 2: Reno 911 Cat Rescue - I was genuinely shocked and literally laughed myself to near-death when I first saw this on TV. It was fucking hilarious! HAHAHAHA



The "Fuckin' Hilarious" Award for the Funniest TV Show of All-Time:

There are a lot of funny shows out there. Most comedies, even the bad ones, have a few hilarious moments sprinkled in here and there. For example, the first season of The Office is as funny as any of the nominees for this award. 30 Rock probably has more subtle laughs sprinkled in every single sentence of its script than any other show. But both shows are not as funny now as they were in the beginning. The nominees are exactly what the name of the award suggests: fucking hilarious and fucking hilarious all or most of the time. Modern family probably belongs on this list. But it is more of a family comedy...very clean. Even though I love it and I think it is fucking hilarious, unlike the nominees for this award, watching it once would be good enough for most people. It doesn't make its fans want to watch the same episodes over and over again the way the following shows do. There were 6 nominees for this award.

6th place - Reno 911
Total Seasons: 6 (88 episodes)
Channel: Comedy Central
Still on? No
Short summary: It's about stupid cops in Reno doing stupid shit.





Most people might not know the existence of this show. (They probably know the movie.) That's probably why it eventually got canceled on Comedy Central. But it was fucking hilarious.

5th place - Party Down
Total Seasons: 2 (20 episodes)
Channel: Starz Network
Still on? No
Short summary: It's about out-of-work actors working at a catering service until they hopefully land a good acting gig and become famous.



Another hidden gem. You probably haven't heard of this show. It was on the Starz network, which most people, including myself, don't get. But you can download it. It only lasted 2 seasons, but it was funny as fuck.

4th place - Seinfeld
Total Seasons: 9 (180 episodes)
Channel: NBC
Still on? No
Short summary: It's a show about nothing! (If you know the show, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, watch it!)



This one is definitely not underground. If you don't know about this show, you are either less than 20 years old, or have been living under a rock during the 90's. This show was hilarious. I don't know how the hell it lost all those Emmys to Frazier. That's a joke. Seinfeld was genius at work. It was more of a subtle form of comedy. It made you smirk and giggle more than it made you laugh out loud. (Although it had its LOL moments as well.) But unlike most other comedies, Seinfeld made you think! Not like "playing chess" think, but it made you think in a funny way. You became a funnier person just by watching it. And the person who co-created it, Larry David, is a fucking genius. Straight up. Like Einstein. It's amazing that he has another show on this list.

3rd place - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Total Seasons: 7 (84 episodes)
Channel: FX
Still on? Yes
Short summary: It's about a bunch of idiot-morons who own a bar in Philadelphia. 



This show is the definition of ridiculous and laugh out loud funny. What's great about "the gang" is that they have no limits. They will make fun of anything and everything. Homelessness, abortion, race, sexuality, it doesn't matter. They will even throw a baby in the dumpster!


2nd place - Curb Your Enthusiasm
Total Seasons: 8 (80 episodes)
Channel: HBO
Still on? Yes...hopefully
Short summary: Larry David is a social nightmare! Sometimes he helps other people...sometimes he's selfish...but either way, you can bet he will get himself into a socially awkward situation.



This man is my fucking hero. Seriously. I plan on writing an entire article on him in the future. If I ever have the great fortune of seeing this genius in person, I am going to gush like a 12 year old girl who saw Justin Bieber. Then I am going to blow him and worship at his feet.

1st place and the winner of the "Fuckin' Hilarious" Award - Arrested Development
Total Seasons: 3 (53 episodes)
Channel: Fox
Still on? No...it's a fucking shame and travesty
Short summary: It's about an Orange County rich white family who breaks a bunch of corporate laws, becomes broke, and tries to keep up their lavish lifestyle, while the only sane family member tries to fix the family business and keep them under control.




I have seen every single episode of this entire show over and over again at least 4 times. Each time I watch it, I find some funny shit that I didn't see before. This show is not only the funniest comedy of all time, but it is one of the greatest TV shows of all-time in general. It has every element of a comedy. Genius, laugh out loud, subtle comedy, ridiculousness, potty humor, funny lines, sarcasm, background humor, etc, etc, etc. You HAVE to watch this show! I don't know what the fuck America was doing when this show was on the air. It received awesome reviews from the critics but the retarded American public was too busy watching reality TV. The fact that this show got canceled due to low ratings is a bigger tragedy than the Holocaust. It's no surprise that Arrested Development has a huge cult following even 6 years after it being off the air. And they are making a new season on Netflix and ending it with a movie! I am looking forward to this event more than I have looked forward to any event of my life, including any graduation, starting a career, my first paycheck, any vacation, moving to America, and my wedding.

The "Homer Simpson" Award for the Funniest Character of All Time:


It is self-explanatory why this award has been named after Homer Simpson. Homer Simpson is the original funny man. Even though he is animated, he was the first ridiculous moron that we all came to know and love. So let's look at the candidates for the funniest character of all time. Because there are so many candidates, I am just going to show pictures. And then I will announce the winner. 


Andy Dwyer - Parks and Recreations

Gob Bluth - Arrested Development
Tracy Jordan - 30 Rock
Charlie Kelly - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Jim Dangle - Reno 911

Cosmo Kramer - Seinfeld

Frank Reynolds - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

George Costanza - Seinfeld

Dr. Spaceman - 30 Rock

Dwight Shrute - The Office
Leon Black - Curb Your Enthusiasm


Michael Scott - The Office

Peter Griffin - Family Guy

Stewie Griffin - Family Guy





And the winner of the "Homer Simpson" Award for the Funniest TV Character of All-Time is...


Tobias Funke - Arrested Development

This guy is motherfuckin' hilarious!!! David Cross should have won multiple Emmys for playing Dr. Tobias Funke on Arrested Development. Just watch these videos:





And with that, we conclude Part 1 of the Diabetes Awards! If you haven't seen these shows, watch them! It will cheer you up from your sad depressing pathetic sorry excuse for a life. If you have depression, read my other article, and then watch some of these shows...and stay tuned for Part 2!

Thanks for reading!
Yours truly,
The King of Nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment